Monday, January 16, 2012

dont' sweat the small stuff (paint is easy)

Trust me, no one likes to paint, but when you consider what a new paint job does and how much it costs... it is well worth the price of admission.  I don't know how many times I've heard of people not buying a house, not like their living room, loose out on an investment because of finishes.  Ok folks, here is a secret.  Finishes are cheap (click the link to find a quick calculator for paint cost...assume $40 a gallon for good quality indoor latex paint).  Ok, not all finishes are cheap, but paint is cheap.  If you don't like the paint color, change it.  I promise you can do it.  Hell, if you want you can take the can of paint and throw it at the wall and you might have an amazing looking wall (think Jackson Pollock)I'm not saying that everyone can afford granite counters, but I am saying that if you want the most impact for your dollar (and your interior needs it) a gallon of paint will go a long way.  

Here are two things to consider when painting a room. 

1) Light...I would say that most spaces feel better when they get enough (or more than enough depending on your taste) natural light.  Please don't paint your space black if you expect to get any light into the room.  The simple thing is this.  Dark colors soak up natural light.  An accent wall or an accent trim piece is perfect, but if you paint all your walls forest green you are in for a surprise.  It's called a cave in some parts of the country.  

2) Color...related to number one indeed.  Color can be scary.  It can be fun.  It can make or break a room.  This one is tricky so if you have any specific questions regarding color please ask in the comments.

Just remember, if you are renovating the house you own or looking at a house to buy.  You have to remember that paint is easy.  You can do it in a weekend.  Painting your living room will take some work, but it will have an enormous impact on the "place you live".  If you are just looking for a "space to die" then go ahead and leave it that 70's pea green color.  I'm sure your friends don't mind.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Levi! I may have to share this with some clients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. G. I hope I can help. Please let me know if you have any questions. I appreciate the response and let me know if there is anything specific you would like to learn about.

      Cheers,
      Levi

      Delete
  2. I want to paint my bedroom, but I don't know which wall to pick as the accent wall. Do accent walls even work in bedrooms? Should it be a wall with or without a window?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accent walls definitely work in bedrooms but they can be hard to visualize. In fact, in my opinion, they can be the best use of accent walls if you pick the right wall. I would recommend the wall without the window. The color you pick will be distorted if you are looking at it in combination with the windows and the view outside. It's sorta like trying to see the colors of a rainbow while starring at the sun. I would pick the wall opposite the window(s) or the wall you place your headboard up against (assuming that the headboard wall has no openings or doors in it). The simplest advice is if you are going to pick a wall to accent, make sure it is the wall you are accenting. What I mean by that is...don't make the wall too busy. Make sure any pictures you hang on this wall compliment the color you pick, maybe even black and white photos for a rich colored wall. Try not to use a wall that has a door in it or built in shelving. The idea of an accent wall is really about creating wall that is color. Accent walls are most powerful, in my opinion, when they can be a plain wall made more lively by color. Simple as that. In my opinion accent walls are overdone when they get cluttered. Be bold, but also make a simple statement. Thanks for asking questions and make sure to let me know if you have any more questions. I love hearing about your projects so if you have more questions, or my response wasn't clear please let me know. Good luck and send photos if when you get your bedroom done.

      Cheers,
      Levi

      Delete